Feb 14, 2013

Need to cheat...



Competition if healthy is a promising driver. The brain is too accustomed to the impact of endorphins and dopamine that offer wellness. That’s why rewards are recompensing incentives. However, coveting a prize after hard work and dedication is the ingredient to success. Unlike cheating, which may be classified as a fancy, speedy and laidback trail to triumph. The world thrives on shortcuts while morality and honesty are nearing extinction. Rules broken by a cheater may be explicit or part of an unwritten code; in certain cases making cheating more of a subjective process with frequent justifications for committing them. Needless to say, cheating is immoral, unethical and inappropriate.

The thrill of cheating
Treading the forbidden path is an exciting prospect; even if the path is not as appropriate or eventful. It is the “adventure seeking mind” that hunts for “something different” without being aware of consequences. And if consequences are favorable, it seems clever to cheat again.
  • I did it once and it worked, I can do it again!
  • Others can get past the system, why can’t I?
  • Everyone does it; it’s really not a big deal!
  • If I’m caught I will handle it, why worry?
  • I’m good at this I know I won’t get caught!
The human mind has complicated neuronal connections with multiple neurotransmitters, each bearing specific responsibility for varied emotions and their subjective experience.  The dopamine rush in the brain following a successful act of treachery is an exalted reaction. The psychological as well as neurochemical thrill of giving into a prohibited temptation simulates success in itself and adds determination to repeat the process with enhanced vigor. 
The vicious cycle
Favorable ends seems to justify the means for deceitful souls, thus dishonesty gets vindicated by the success of the cheating endeavor. Curiosity is the root of sin. Cheating at a game, deceit in an exam, dishonesty to a spouse; all if successful even once, give courage to repeat the act. Excellence demands valor and determination. Thus success after hard work motivates conscious effort for betterment. Likewise for the habitual trickster, the process of cheating offers steady rewards thus it gets auxiliary reinforcement. And the cycle continues incessantly.
The somnolent conscience
Somnolence clouds consciousness. A sleepy conscience is a recipe for transcendental disaster. One cannot tell the difference between right and wrong midst an act of treachery. It just seems dead-on even though it isn’t. The gut usually is a good judge:
  • I feel this is right
  • This is truly the way to go
  • I know this is the way to do it
Likewise the wrongdoer knows when the act is wrong:
  • I hope I don’t get caught!
  • I wish I succeed again this time!
  • I wonder if my trick will work once more!
Insight is the step to cure. You can’t treat a cancer unless you detect it. Habits and personalities can change too if scrutinized and censored. Realizing one’s mistake is a grueling task. Awake that conscience! 
Vindication
Justified perfidy is like speaking a white lie. It may do no harm but it does no good to the other or oneself. Cheaters vindicate their deceit, considering it to be a ‘smart’ act, hence when someone cheats without getting caught; they think they excel that art!
  • I tricked her but I did save some money!
  • I cheat because it’s humiliating to fail an exam!
  • I lied but I wasn’t caught and that’s what really matters!
  • I can evade this each time, I’m just so good at this; it makes me proud!
Little are people aware that cheating is cowardly; it tarnishes the conscience and stains the soul; creating a façade under which honesty and integrity get decayed steadily.
Change how you feel
Fear of failure crafts a cheater. “Be perfect!” is what one is taught. Do it, by hook or crook. It is this drive that inculcates duplicitous behavior. Perfection is an ultimate dream; righteousness nonetheless is the path that makes the end worthwhile. Undiscovered lies have a greater capacity to devastate than exposed ones. They putrefy trust that the world has in us, diminish our own strength,  self-worth, and self-concept. That's the very foundation of humanity. Humans believe that forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Thus cheating has become ever so rampant. When one cheats another, its really not a victory, its a sham and ought to be realization of ones own worth: you got more trust than you deserved and that's why you succeeded in misusing it. You fail as a human being, even though victory seems to cling at your feet...

With contributions by Ms.Nikita Vyas
Psychology intern at MINDFRAMES

No comments:

Post a Comment