Dec 7, 2012

Quantifying irrationality


Life isn’t perfect. Things don't go the way they were ‘supposed’ to or ‘destined’ to or the way you ‘expected’ or ‘wanted’ them to. Not even the way they ‘should’ have been. Life is full of expectations and desires and wants that occasionally stay unfulfilled and unconsummated. And truly, it’s not unjust to want to relish the pleasures this world has to offer us. After all we work so hard for them. Everyone works and toils for peace and joy. Asceticism or self-denial is not the route to nirvana. But rationality is a must. Living within rational limits of expectations allows one to have them fulfilled more frequently. And that fetches contentment without doubt. 
Beliefs
Beliefs are states in which one holds a proposition to be true. When you believe something it is built on your premise that it is true. You believe your partner loves you, you believe that you are smart, you believe that your friends are loyal; and the world seems like a better place on the footing of your beliefs. At the same time, you may believe that you are paid lesser than you deserve, your children are really disobedient, you are overweight, you merit more time from your spouse than you are getting; and suddenly life seems to be agonizing. Beliefs are the building blocks of your conscious thoughts, emotions and actions.
Rationality
Albert Ellis stated that common sense is the collection of prejudices that are acquired by the age of 18! It reflects things we should ‘not do’ to avoid negative outcomes. The commonality of what most people accept gets termed as common sense. Though common sense is also based on facts that have been proven scientifically over time. For instance we’ve all heard this often and it doesn't seem difficult to trust that:
  • If I put my hand in that burning fire, it will burn
  • Jumping from the 10th floor will break my bones
  • If I study hard I will do well in my examinations
  • If I exercise regularly I will stay slim and healthy
  • If I drop the crystal vase it will definitely break
  • If I slam the brakes of the car the car it will stop 
There is a cause to effect relationship, which makes beliefs strong and allows us to accept the truth in them. It is what we call evidence base. Beliefs that get us through in life need to be as common as common sense.
Irrationality
Ironically, viewpoints that are customary today are the illogical ones. They don't seem worth believing because nonsense is more prevailing than common sense! How about the checklist below, have any of these thoughts about yourself occurred to you?
  • If I argue I will have my way in the relationship
  • If I’m overconfident, people will give me respect
  • If I succeed at my job my life will be worthwhile
  • If I cry or get emotional it shows that I am weak
  • If I admit my mistake I become the smaller one
  • Trusting people is a gamble and I will not do it 
There is no logic to support any of these widely held beliefs. Childhood trauma, ragging, bullying, failed job interviews, broken friendships, wrecked marriages, negative life incidents; all do their best to make one cynical and pessimistic. Yet, they don't express logic. Pessimism and defeat should stand no chance over optimism, trust, faith and confidence. Set the defenses right!
Perfection
Striving for excellence has always been (and should always be the goal) but who defines perfect? The earth itself is ovoid, not round. The moon has craters likewise man has flaws. Sensibility lies in identification of faults and attempts to overcome them. If you sound silly in front of your friends and they laugh about it, you are a source of their enjoyment. If you take it in the positive spirit, it will work better for you and your friendship with that group. The planet does not love the ‘perfect’ man or the ‘prettiest’ woman. The world dotes over the one who is confident and accepts his or her strengths and shortcomings equally.
B +ve
You need to build the ability to see the glass as half full (versus half empty) and work towards filling it to its brim. The glass is nothing but your life. When full it will in fact run over and spread a share of your happiness and positivism to those around you too. If only you knew the universal truth that you are here for yourself and you ‘make’ your happiness around your 'own self', you would not ever come in your own path of advancement. Get rational and start living!

No comments:

Post a Comment